Malini D. Sur, MD, FACS is a board-certified surgical oncologist with expertise in the surgical management of tumors of the liver, pancreas, and gastrointestinal system. Dr. Sur specializes in minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgery and strongly values an evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach to cancer care.
After graduating from Harvard College, Dr. Sur received her medical degree from Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. She went on to complete her general surgery internship and residency at The Mount Sinai Hospital, where she was appointed the administrative chief resident of the Department of Surgery and was awarded the Arthur H. Aufses, Sr. Prize in Surgery for her outstanding commitment to patients. Dr. Sur then completed her fellowship in complex general surgical oncology at the University of Chicago Medical Center and completed an additional fellowship in surgical ethics at the University of Chicago MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics.
Prior to joining the Atlanta Liver and Pancreas Surgical Specialists at Northside, Dr. Sur was an assistant professor of surgery at the Mount Sinai Health System in New York and served as the chief of surgical oncology at Mount Sinai Queens. As an experienced surgeon, Dr. Sur has many clinical interests including hepatobiliary tumors, pancreatic cancer, neuroendocrine tumors, and gastrointestinal neoplasms including gastric cancer, gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), and appendix tumors. She has also authored multiple peer-reviewed articles, research papers and chapter publications in her field.
Dr. Sur believes in delivering to her patients the care that she would want for her own family members. She feels privileged to have an immediate impact on her patients through surgery, and strives to be able to provide answers and comfort at a time that is often marked by uncertainty and fear.
In her free time, Dr. Sur enjoys spending time with her family and, having recorded two albums, she enjoys singing and making music.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- General Surgery Internship, Mount Sinai Hospital
- General Surgery Residency, Mount Sinai Hospital
- Complex General Surgical Oncology Fellowship, University of Chicago Medical Center
Certifications and Affiliations
- Board Certified, General Surgery and Complex General Surgical Oncology
- Member, Society for Surgical Oncology
- Member, Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association
- Member, American College of Surgeons
Honors and Awards
- University of Chicago MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics Fellow
- Mount Sinai Department of Surgery Administrative Chief Resident
- Arthur H. Aufses, Sr. Prize in Surgery
- Medical Student Teaching Award
- Northside Hospital